Airport Zoning Regulations (AZRs)
AZRs help ensure the safety of our airport. They maintain the safety of aircraft around the airport, shield navigational aids from obstacles, set a maximum height limit for structures and natural objects surrounding the airport and prohibit the dumping of waste materials on lands next to airports.
Apply for a crane permit
Please note, due to the holidays crane or aerial device permits will not be reviewed, processed or approved between December 23 at 12:00 pm, until January 4, 2021. Please ensure all crane or aerial device permits are submitted prior to the December 23 deadline for operations during the holiday period.
If you would like to operate a crane at Pearson, complete and submit the Crane Permit Assessment Form on this page. To determine whether the crane location requires a permit, your application will be assessed along with the following information:
- Airport Obstacle Assessment Area (Google Earth KMZ, 5 KB)
- Airport Obstacle Assessment Area (PDF, 5.8 MB)
Land use approval
If you are building a new structure or altering an existing structure, you will need approval for land use from both Pearson and NAV CANADA before a crane operation permit can be issued. You can submit your proposal to NAV CANADA using their Land Use Submission Form.
- All permit requests must be received by 1:30 pm local time, three business days before the scheduled lift. Please allow extra time for tower crane permits.
- For every address where you intend to perform work, you must submit a separate and fully completed Crane Permit Assessment Form.
- You must provide the maximum tip height requested for this lift, which may not be the maximum height the crane is capable of.
- Crane and aerial device permits will not be reviewed from 12:00 pm December 23rd, 2020 to 7:30 am on January 4th, 2020 due to the holidays.
For work to be completed between the above dates, please ensure that permits are submitted prior to 12:00 pm on December 23rd, 2020.
- Please allow for a minimum of three business days for crane and aerial device assessments.
- Tower crane assessments may take up to 30 days.