If you're interested in joining our Welcome Team, come to one of our volunteer information sessions and learn more about volunteering at Pearson.
Welcome Team volunteers help passengers feel welcomed, relaxed and delighted by:
- Greeting passengers throughout the terminals
- Providing general directions to washrooms, restaurants, gates, airport services and more
- Responding to basic passenger inquiries with thoughtful, enthusiastic and accurate answers
- Enhancing the overall passenger experience at Pearson
Welcome team volunteers commit to a four-hour shift every week (Monday to Sunday) for one year.
- 4:00 am to 8:00 am*
- 8:00 am to 12:00 noon
- 12:00 noon to 4:00 pm
- 4:00 pm to 8:00 pm*
- 6:00 pm to 10:00 pm*
*The ability to work these shifts on Monday, Tuesday or Wednesday is an asset.
As part of the initial training process, members must attend mandatory training courses, such as Security Awareness, Customer Service Skills and Accessibility Awareness and Sensitivity. Welcome Team members are required to participate in monthly meetings throughout the year, typically on a Saturday.
Why volunteer with us
There are many benefits to being a member of the Welcome Team:
- Be part of team of people who share similar interests
- Help others
- Participate in volunteer events and social activities
- Get complimentary parking on days you are volunteering at Pearson
- Interact with people in a dynamic, exciting and vibrant setting
- Receive training and mentoring from other airport employees and experienced Welcome Team members to help prepare you for your role
- Receive a uniform vest and jacket
This is strictly a volunteer role. Participants receive no salary or benefits other than the satisfaction of helping our visitors.
Who should apply?
We are looking for people who:
- Have previous customer service experience and/or a strong understanding of great customer service.
- Enjoy working in a team environment
- Are friendly and outgoing
- Are at least 16 years old
- Are flexible and can easily adapt to new environments and situations
- Demonstrate strong listening, communication, understanding and responding skills
- Are motivated to consistently achieve excellent standards of customer service
- Have basic computer skills (must be able to navigate the Internet) and have an email account
- Are fluent in English (ability to speak French is a strong asset and ability to speak other languages a bonus)
- Qualify for and can maintain Transport Canada Security Clearance
- Can commit to one four-hour shift per week for a one-year term
- Are a resident of Ontario and legally entitled to work in Canada
How to apply
Before you apply, you must attend a volunteer information session, complete an application and submit your resume.
Welcome Team information sessionsWe will hold a volunteer information session for people who are interested in joining our Welcome Team Program. Our next session will be held in January 2020.
Junior Ambassador Program
High school students can volunteer at Pearson Airport to complete their community service hours.
Required skills and qualifications
- Be a minimum 15 years old
- Attend a Greater Toronto Area secondary school
- Be reliable and commit to minimum 40 or 60 hours, for a maximum 8-month commitment
- Be willing to learn and have excellent communication and customer service skills
- Bring good judgment and respect for confidentiality
- Obtain a police background check upon offer of placement
Student volunteer responsibilities
- Provide basic information and directions throughout Terminal 1 and 3
- Respond to questions with thoughtful, accurate, and friendly answers
- Provide directions to passengers who are having difficulty finding airport services
- Escalate complex passenger issues to appropriate airport employees
Students can only apply in April or September. You must attend an information session where you will complete an application form, submit your resume, and be interviewed for the position. There are a limited number of positions available for students.