Our GHG targets
Our Greenhouse Gas program is targeting Net Zero Scope 1 & 2 emissions by 2050.
We’re reducing our emissions footprint, by improving operational efficiency and investing in projects for the direct reduction or offset of energy consumption and Greenhouse Gas (GHG) emissions to achieve this goal.
Climate change initiatives
Energy reduction initiatives
To help reach these targets, we have:
- Upgraded to light-emitting diodes (LEDs) in all baggage areas, tunnels and airport employee areas of Terminal 1. Lighting controls have also been installed to adjust lighting to time of day
- Completed a heating, ventilation and air conditioning (HVAC) optimization project that puts air quality monitoring sensors closer to passengers and employees to keep them more comfortable and helps control the amount of heating and cooling needed.
Pearson LED energy conservation video
Airport infrastructure assessment
Adapting the airport for climate change first involves determining if any of the airport assets or infrastructure is vulnerable, and then taking appropriate action.
The airport infrastructure assessment found that:
- No assets were considered to be high risk.
- About 10% of the low risk assets increased to a medium risk score as a result of extreme heavy rainfalls, heavy rainfalls, freezing rain, ice storms, hurricanes and tropical storms.
- About 10% of the medium risk assets decreased to a low risk score because of decreases in cold waves and freeze-thaw cycles.