Passes and permits for employees

Looking for a form? You can find them here.

As an employee required to work in a restricted area, you will need to apply for the following passes and permits:

  1. Transport Canada Transportation Security Clearance (TSC) – Background security check conducted by Transport Canada, processed in 3 to 6 months on average. Must be renewed every five years.
  2. Security Control Pass – Temporary three-month pass issued by the Pass Permit Control Office that lets you work in a restricted area of the airport, with restrictions. You can use this pass until Transport Canada grants a security clearance.
  3. Restricted Area Identity Card (RAIC) – Allows you to access restricted areas of the airport. Before you can get a RAIC, you will need your TSC approved by Transport Canada. Your RAIC must be renewed every five years along with your TSC.

The RAIC form has been designed to be downloaded and completed using Adobe Acrobat Reader DC. Right-click on the link above and select "save" to download the PDF file. You can download Adobe Acrobat Reader DC for free.

Application Process

Please review the instructions below carefully, as mistakes in your application will cause processing delays. If you provide false information or misrepresent yourself, your application will not be processed.

When renewing your TSC, we recommend that you start the process six months before its expiry date.

1. Complete the Airport Security Awareness Training

Our Airport Security Awareness training course is a mandatory step for all new and renewing airport employees applying for a RAIC. This includes former employees who have been away for more than one year. Take the Airport Security Awareness course.

2. Fill out the Transportation Security Clearance (TSC) form

Step 1: Read the TSC Guide (PDF, 1.5 MB).

Step 2: Go to Transport Canada's website to complete the TSC online application

Step 3: Submit the online application form on the Transport Canada website, and print and scan (or save) a PDF version of your completed application. Your Company Signing Authority* must sign the hard copy. Do not write on the application form, including edits or corrections. If you need to make a change to your application, redo it completely.

*Your Company Signing Authority is responsible for the request, authorization, control and maintenance of RAICs and keycards issued to your company's employees. If you do not know who your Company Signing Authority is, ask your manager or supervisor.

All security items must be returned to either the employer or the Pass Office on request or when your employment ends.

3. Submit your TSC application

Visit the Pass Permit Control Office walk-in service available during business hours on a first-come, first-served basis to submit your application.

You must bring these original documents with you:

  • A hard copy of your completed TSC application that has been authorized by your Company Signing Authority
  • A hard copy of your completed RAIC application (PDF, 977 KB) that has been authorized by your Company Signing Authority
  • A completed Keycard Application form (PDF, 990 KB), required only for GTAA employees who need keycard access to the Administration building and airport employees who need access to the transborder areas

If you were born in Canada, you must bring: 

  • Canadian birth certificate (only Quebec birth certificates issued after January 1994 are accepted)

As well as one of either

  • Valid Canadian passport (or valid Canadian government-issued photo ID, if your passport is no longer valid), or,
  • Valid driver's licence

If you were born outside of Canada, you must bring these pieces of original identification:

  • Canadian citizenship card OR landed immigration document (for example, IMM1000 OR valid permanent resident card). Your permanent resident card will only be accepted if it is valid for the term of the TSC and remains valid upon renewal.
  • Valid passport (if not valid – provide valid Canadian Government issued photo Identification e.g. Ontario Photo I.D card)
  • Valid driver's licence
  • If your TSC application form is incomplete or has errors, we will help you properly complete the form. You can choose to return another time with your updated form.
  • If your TSC application form is complete, it will be sent to Transport Canada to begin processing, and you will be able to apply for a temporary pass (also known as a Security Control Pass).

Security Control Pass (temporary pass)

A Security Control Pass is a temporary pass issued by the Pass Permit Control Office in order to allow an employee to work in a restricted area, with restrictions, until Transport Canada grants a security clearance.

Security Control Passes are valid for three months. A security control pass holder may extend a valid security control pass by visiting the Pass Permit Control Office during business hours for an extension.

If you let your Security Control Pass expire, you will need to complete a new RAIC application form.

4. Wait for your security clearance

The average wait time is three to six months.

During Transport Canada's review process, which includes a background check, Transport Canada or the Pass Permit Control Office may need to contact you, so remember to inform us of any contact information changes. Failure to do so may result in the cancellation of your application.

Your employer will notify you when your TSC has been granted.

While you're waiting for your TSC, you may need to renew your temporary Security Control Pass, which is valid for three months. You can visit the Pass Permit Office during business hours for an extension.

5. Apply for a RAIC

Once your TSC has been granted Transport Canada, you may apply for a RAIC during the Pass Permit Control Office business hours. The process takes about 20 to 30 minutes. To apply for a RAIC, you must bring the following documents to the Pass Office:

  • A hard copy of your completed RAIC application (PDF, 977 KB) that has been authorized by your Company Signing Authority
  • Your Security Control Pass and all other security items issued by the Pass Permit Control Office to you.

In addition to your personal ID, the Pass Office will also record your fingerprints and iris photo to create your RAIC.

Frequently asked questions

Share this page