Rapid PCR Testing for Departing Passengers
What you'll learn on this page:
Rapid polymerase chain reaction (PCR) COVID-19 testing is now available on site at Toronto Pearson for departing passengers, free of charge through a research study.
Passengers are responsible to confirm the government entry requirements of their destination, including accepted COVID-19 tests. Read the travel advisory for your destination.
- Testing is available at Terminal 1.
- PCR appointments can be made up to 6 hours before flight departure time.
- Appointments per day are limited. Passengers unable to secure an appointment in the predeparture timeframe must make alternative arrangements.
- PCR test results taken through the study are expected within approximately 4 hours of your testing appointment.
- Passengers that test positive for COVID-19 through a PCR test will not be able to travel and will be required to isolate for 14-days.
PCR tests taken at Toronto Pearson are part of the Departing Passengers Testing Study, researching the efficacy of antigen testing in a live environment by comparing it to rapid PCR test results. This means that at each PCR appointment, participants will receive two tests – both a PCR test and an antigen test. This antigen test is for research only and cannot be used to meet rapid antigen test requirements.
Testing is made available at the airport as part of a research study supported in part by funding from the National Research Council of Canada Industrial Research Assistance Program (NRC IRAP). Testing services are made available at the airport through Fionet, together with Alpha Labs, and OnPoint1 Health, and under the supervision of a licensed medical doctor.
Rapid PCR testing is available, through the research study, to passengers who:
- Do not have symptoms of COVID-19
- Are 5 years of age or older
- Are travelling to international destinations and are not connecting through Toronto Pearson
- Have a personal electronic device capable of connecting to the internet to view and display test results (such as a smartphone)
Note that passengers are responsible to confirm the government entry requirements of their destination. Tests are made available at Toronto Pearson through a research study. Eligibility criteria for the research study may not match passenger destination entry requirements. Please note, should it be determined that passengers do not fall within study eligibility criteria, we reserve the right to deny access to a test.
Any participants that meet the following criteria are ineligible to participate:
- Participant unable or unwilling to provide informed consent in the registration process
- Currently exhibiting or have exhibited the following symptoms within 14 days of test appointment: Fever, chills, cough or worsening of chronic cough, shortness of breath, sore throat, runny nose, loss of sense of smell or taste
- Current diagnosis of respiratory illness or diagnosis of respiratory illness within 14 days of test appointment
- Frequent nosebleeds (more than 2 per month) and/or active nosebleed within 24 hours of the test appointment
- Nasal surgery within previous 3 months
- Acute facial trauma or injury
- Unable, or unwilling, to provide required sample
- Investigator believes participant is unsuitable for inclusion in the study (i.e., has serious condition(s) or other reason(s) that could limit their ability to participate in the study; or impact the scientific integrity of the study)
Steps to book your Departing Passenger Testing Study PCR appointment
- Before you get to the airport, use the Fionet Platform to:
- Register and create a profile
- Book an appointment between 72 hours and 6 hours in advance of your flight departure time
- Arrive at Terminal 1:
- Check in for your appointment
- Get tested
- Wait until you get your results notification via text or email
- View your results through your Fionet profile
- Questions about your travel journey or accessing the testing centre? Call Toronto Pearson Customer Service: 416-247-7678
- Questions about testing services or technical issues with the Fionet Platform? Call Fionet Support Service: 647-490-0371