2.8 million passengers will travel through Canada's largest airport this holiday season
December 20, 2018
TORONTO – Toronto Pearson estimates that 2.8 million passengers will travel through its doors this holiday season. On average, 127,000 passengers will fly through the airport daily during the busy holiday travel season, which begins December 16, 2018 and stretches to January 6, 2019.
The holiday travel season will peak on Friday, December 21, 2018, when over 135,000 passengers will arrive to or depart from Toronto Pearson, travelling to reach family, friends and sun destinations for the final weekend before Christmas.
In a season that is often associated with hustle and bustle, Toronto Pearson has prepared tips for travellers so that they can ensure their time at the airport makes for a relaxing start to their holiday.
The Greater Toronto Airports Authority (GTAA) also has a special holiday surprise for passengers this year. After hearing their feedback requesting a faster WiFi connection, the GTAA is pleased to announce a 10X upgrade in Toronto Pearson WiFi capacity, letting you “connect” with family just a little bit faster this holiday season. As part of ongoing IT transformation at Toronto Pearson, more upgrades will be announced in 2019.
- Travellers can start their trip smoothly by reserving a parking spot online and getting the best possible value. Drivers can even book a Car Care appointment with their parking and come home to a spotless vehicle.
- Answer carry-on questions by using the Canadian Air Transport Security Authority’s (CATSA) Carry-on or Checked? tool. Search any item and get immediate instructions on whether your item should be packed in checked or carry-on luggage.
- Many of Toronto Pearson’s shops and restaurants feature holiday deals and promotions for last-minute shopping and dining, so come early to shop and dine.
- Save time at security by packing light and leaving holiday gifts unwrapped in carry-on luggage, as all packages will be subject to inspection at security checkpoints. Learn more about smart packing from CATSA.
- When travelling within Canada, passengers should remember that although up to 30 grams of cannabis can be brought onto domestic flights, an unplanned diversion outside of Canada could lead to legal trouble. Taking cannabis or any product containing cannabis across Canada’s international borders is illegal and can result in serious criminal penalties both at home and abroad.
- Need last-minute banking before flying? Passengers can save time by banking at one of CIBC’s airport banking centres and ATMs.
- Tech-savvy travellers can enjoy complimentary Wi-Fi, provided in partnership with American Express.
- As always, the volunteer Welcome Team is waiting to greet passengers and assist them in finding their way to their gate. If travellers need further assistance, they can call 416-AIRPORT to speak with Toronto Pearson staff.
Toronto Pearson has worked with its partners to create interactive activities and promotions all over the airport to keep you entertained while you wait for flights in Terminals 1 and 3.
- Toronto Pearson presents the Cheers to the Holidays contest, where any eligible purchase made at Toronto Pearson can be used to enter for a chance to win a 2018 Genesis G80 Sport or a cash prize of $50,000 CAD (car available to Canadian residents only). No purchase necessary. To learn more and to view full contest details, go to www.cheerstotheholidays.ca (Contest closes January 12, 2019).
- Pump up your gift-giving with Spend and Get from American Express, in partnership with Dufry. American Express cardholders will receive a $50 credit on their statement when they spend $200 CAD at any participating Dufry Duty Free Store in Toronto Pearson from December 14, 2018, to January 14, 2018.
- YYZ Live performers will be entertaining travellers in Terminals 1 and 3, with daily performances from December 20 to 29, 2018.
- Terminal 1: Friday and Saturday, 5 to 7 p.m. and 7:30 to 9:30 p.m.
- Terminal 3: Monday to Thursday, 6 to 9 p.m.
- Visit the Coca-Cola Christmas Lounge in Terminal 1 Domestic, Gate D20, for a taste of holiday cheers and a free Coca-Cola, Coke Zero or Diet Coke. Pick up some cool travel and holiday swag for the flight (December 17 to 23, 2018, 10 a.m. to 8 p.m.).
- Get your game on while you wait to board in Terminal 1’s Pier F at the interactive PlayStation game station (6:30 a.m. to 8:30 p.m., ends March 15, 2019).
Contact: GTAA Media Office | firstname.lastname@example.org | (416) 776-3709